Difference between __torch_function__ and __torch_dispatch__

What is the difference between the two design goals?

__torch_function__ solves the problem of “I can overload the meaning of tensor.add() with Python duck typing, but I can’t overload the meaning of torch.add(tensor) because this isn’t a method call.” It lets you define a method which lets you overload the meaning of torch.* API calls. It works even if you don’t subclass Tensor.

__torch_dispatch__ solves the problem of “PyTorch has a big pile of C++ code which implements important subsystems like autograd, and I can’t interpose on it.” It offers a callback into Python after these subsystems have been processed. A torch dispatch Tensor subclass (these must be Tensor subclasses) can, for example, change the behavior of operations called by the autograd engine.

2 Likes

You can also see more detailed (though not 100% finished yet) documentation at Extending PyTorch — PyTorch main documentation

1 Like

what you said may wrong. The flollowing code work well:

import torch

class PyTensor(torch.Tensor):
    @classmethod
    def __torch_dispatch__(cls, func, types, args=(), kwargs=None):
        print(f"PyTensor into {func}")

class MyTensor(torch.Tensor):  
    @classmethod
    def __torch_function__(cls, func, types, args, kwargs=None):  
        print(f"MyTensor into {func}")

x = torch.randn(8)
y1 = PyTensor(x)
y2 = MyTensor(x)
y1 = torch.add(y1, y1)
y2 = torch.add(y2, y2)

the output is:

PyTensor into aten.add.Tensor
MyTensor into <built-in method add of type object at 0x7f2f100ea7e0>```

Great! I got answer from link you post. Thank you! Copy to here:

In a similar way where torch_function is able to interpose on all of torch’s Python API and Tensor methods, torch_dispatch is able intercepting all calls into the aten native API.